VA Sierra Pacific Network (VISN 21)
VA Pacific Islands Health Care System (VAPIHCS)
The VA Pacific Islands Health Care System (VAPIHCS) Honolulu provides a broad range of medical care services, serving an estimated 31,000 Veterans throughout Hawaii and the Pacific Islands. The VAPIHCS provides outpatient medical and mental health care through our main Ambulatory Care Clinic on Oahu (Honolulu) and through seven Community Based Outpatient Clinics (CBOCs), including Hawaii (Hilo and Kona), Maui, Kauai, and Guam. Traveling clinicians also provide episodic care on Lanai and American Samoa. A fee basis Internist residing on Molokai provides medical care eight hours/week at the Molokai Rural Health Center. Mental health care is provided by traveling clinicians from the Maui CBOC.
Long-term and transitional rehabilitative care services are provided by the VA 60-bed Center for Aging, located on the Tripler Army Medical Center (TAMC) grounds. VA staffed inpatient psychiatric care and partial hospitalization care are also provided within a 20-bed VA-operated ward in Tripler Army Medical Center. A 16-bed VA Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Residential Rehabilitation Program formerly in Hilo, on the island of Hawaii, has been successfully relocated to a VA Ward with TAMC on Oahu in December 2005. Medical inpatient care for Veterans is provided by VA hospitalists and Department of Defense (DoD) physicians in TAMC through a VA/DoD sharing agreement, or through non-VA care providers in the community. Home Based Primary Care is provided on the islands of Oahu, Hawaii (Hilo and Kona) and Kauai (Lihue).
Community-Based Outpatient Clinics
In addition to the Spark M. Matsunaga VA Medical Center and the Geriatrics, Rehabilitation, and Extended Care Center, the VA Pacific Islands Health Care System also has community-based outpatient clinics (CBOCs) located in —
- Agana Heights, Guam
- Located about 9 miles northeast of the Naval Base and 4 miles southwest of the Airport. The purpose of this Community-Based Outpatient Clinic is to provide primary health care and minor acute care to eligible Veterans using available resources.
- Hilo, Hawaii
- Located about 5.5 miles west of Hilo International Airport; provides primary care, minor acute care, laboratory services and routine prescription processing.
- Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
- Located about 9 miles south of Kailua-Kona International Airport; provides primary care, minor acute care, laboratory services and routine prescription processing.
- Kahului, Maui
- Located about 2 miles west of Kahului Airport, provides primary care, minor acute care, laboratory services and routine prescription processing.
- Lihue, Kauai
- Located about 3 miles southwest of Lihue Airport; provides primary care, minor acute care, Laboratory services and routine prescription processing.
- Pago Pago,
- Located directly across from Pago Pago International Airport; provides primary care, minor acute care, Laboratory services and routine prescription processing.